Here it is, and after inspection the conductors there are 8 of them are damaged. Go to ebay and see what these lenses are selling for used -- that's what you'd expect to be able to sell yours for if it's working. Does anybody have a suggestion on how to resolve this issue? It has been recommended as an upgrade for the 18-55 kit lens and it definitely is. So wash your hands well with soap or use gloves. Have you had any luck with those? Unscrew another 3 screws under front lens. When the screw is tightened apply big dollop of nail polish to head and side.
You can remove the the cap now. Seems like I have been very unlucky as I was under the impression a lens lasted many years. Upper flatcables is removed by pulling it away from connector. It's not the way you fly that matters it's the fun you have when you reach your destination! I also have your problem with the focus right now! I have already disassembled twice. The front focusing element taken out, the diaphragm unit is visible now. Take out the center piece, and fix the ribbon cable the same way as with the 17-85 lens.
Does anyone know if the 15-85 has ever had any sneaky issues with cables and such breaking after so many shots? I've had two issues requiring repair, an auto-focus failure, and an aperture iris failure. I was incredibly relieved to find this page, and having followed the instructions for an hour or so this morning the lens now works perfectly. Once you get down to the last stages too avoid moving the lens around to much or the bottom rings can come off and it is a bit of a pig to get back on. Can I make a suggestion? I use this lens almost? The only issue I have now is that I seem to have done something to make the image jitter when auto-focusing. Now turn lens and remove lens housing. By pushing the clips towards the center, the black plastic ring can be removed from the top of the metal outer ring. Autofocus is fine and as quick as ever and I am not too keen to take the lens apart for a fourth time without a good idea of what to do to fix it! Yes, indeed I should show you a photo of the complete reassembled lens but this does not look different than any ordinary lens of this type.
Image stabilizer is last one. Use one container per step, and keep them in order. Not the handiest of people with small projects. I personally think the solution is an even better one than the original one since the flatcable now has a much more smooth bending angle. I ended up re-doing the assembly because I buggered up the zoom action the first time.
It is really fiddly and requires a few attempts but seems safer than complete disassemble for the fainthearted. And backside of the motherboard. Those final screws were loose indeed. I didn't even consider the 15-85mm and it sounds like it's a very high quality lens. Do not damage or muck up the internal lenses which are still in there. You should be able to scare up all sorts of examples, but here are a few to get you started , ,.
I'm borrowing a lens for the rest of my travels, but definitely want to have the lens decision made when back home in Feb. After searching a few forums for information, it seems that this is not an uncommon problem. Provide details and share your research! You need to disconnect this connector to release housing. A happy visitor sent me a to a webpage where the sell the broken item Remove the rubber zoom-ring and unscrew the screws in the green circle, three screws. Did everything as you described. Two big parts : Get the zoom tube. Serra from Nothing less than Amazing! You need to make sure this pin is slotted into the correct position.
Hi Thydzik, Thanks, brilliant tutorial! After that place lens into the tube and fix it with sliders. Took me two attempts in the end, but I now have a working lens again! Everything close up appears pretty spot on though. A few extra tips for future readers… The focusing ring is the black stubby thing about 4mm wide at the bottom of the assembly as you get to the last part of disassembly and first part of reassembly. When you start the line will be about 1cm the the left of 28mm on the lens. At any zoom position except 17mm the lens would not focus — it would hunt back and forth to try and lock a focus in. It is very versatile, light , agile and reliable.
There are a lot of screws of different sizes in the lens. I can live with that. Before doing this you will need the right equipment, that is mostly a good screwdriver: once you mess up screws while wrecking them with a bad screwdriver you are even further away from your goal. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated - Thanks so much! Good to know Canon doesn't charge exorbitant fees for out of warranty repairs luckily, this is the 1st time I've had to deal with this. I dare to say it does the job as good as an L-lens.
To learn more, see our. He used this page for taking apart and reassembling his lens. Also, there's some verbal information at the end that is not illustrated which deals with re-assembly of the focus mechanism--it's important! Many, many thanks for posting this — very clear and precise instructions that have probably saved me over £100! Must admit took me best part of 3 hours but well worth it! The lens zoom barrel has little resistance, so if you're not careful to ensure the lens is zoomed in to 17mm, putting the lens cap on with the lens extended can cause the barrel to slam back into the lens body. I took a few pics at each stage of disassembly and these helped on the way back to working lense. I think the ring grips the assembly with the focus pin on it — mine was quite stiff. . Help I have been able to correct the focusing issue on my lens without stripping down anything other than the rubber zoom grip.